Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Symmetry is my friend

Coming down the Row

Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves - from Star Wars The Clone Wars
One of the things I enjoyed looking at in the corn field was the symmetry.  I guess I never really realized how much I look at the world in shapes - that is until I started getting serious about photography.  I wonder, had I never started to explore this interest of mine, would I have ever figured it out.  Would that part of my brain found some other way to become known to me?

Light bulb moment . . . I had to take a drawing class once.  It was one of the single worst experiences of my life.  For you see, I absolutely can not, in any way shape or form, draw.  It was torture for me and for the teacher.  But, I had to take it because for some reason that I do not understand, drawing is a part of the required curriculum for a photography degree.  After that experience, I came to the very tough decision that I may have to pursue this love without a degree, because there were many more drawing classes I would have to endure.

Anyway, the one area that I actually had fun at, and didn't do too bad at, was when we learned how to draw perspective.  Now that I could really get used to.  And for those of you that do not know what that means.  Basically you take your object and draw it using a grid of sorts.  And that just made sense to me.

So, here I am on a Friday night with my family heading into a corn maze.  I'm not sure what everyone else had on their minds, but me, I was too busy looking at the symmetry of the rows of corn and the shapes that were created by the bits of corn plant that crossed those empty spaces between each row.  And of course, that meant I just had to photograph it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails