Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I Think I Might Be Changing My Mind Here

Strings in Black & White
Since I talked about this image in black & white, I thought I would throw it out there for you all.  So, lay it on me, what do you think?  Color or black & white.  I love hearing how everyone feels when I give out the same image done differently.  So many different opinions, it's just great! 

The more I look at this one, the more I am liking it.  But, I'm kinda easy to please that way I guess.

I really like this quote, it gives me something to think on, and hope . . .

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.  ~  Salvador Dali
It was a long time ago that I came to an understanding about perfection and the pursuit of it.  It was just plain silly.  I remember almost the exact moment when I had this realization.  And it came in such a strange way.  I'm an avid cross-stitcher.  I learned how at the age of 12 and have done so ever since.  Creating many, many items.  Some have been framed and hung on my walls.  Some have been framed and given as gifts.  Most just sit around somewhere in boxes or such.  It's all about the process of creating.  In the beginning, when I would get off count - which inevitably happens (right Lynn?) - I would take out every single stitch that had been put in a wrong place.  Only to restitch them all over again.  And then one day, I decided to "work it out" by adjusting the surrounding stitches.  I was able to complete the project and it still looked like the image I was trying to create.  And, here is the "realization" part, now this piece of work is uniquely mine.  Nobody else was going to create that image in the exact same way that I just did, nor would anyone else even know there was a mistake.  To me it became perfect in it's imperfection.  Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't aspire to better things, that you shouldn't pursue becoming a better person and such.  But perfection?  It's such a relative term.  What is perfection to me is not the same perfection to someone else.  Instead of pursuing perfection, how 'bout we all just pursue being the best that each of us can be?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails